Best Apple Pie Recipe With Fresh Apples
Most kids love cake for their birthday but my son always wants pie – apple pie to be exact. I don’t know what it is about pies but he absolutely loves them.
A lot of time we’ll purchase the pies but he likes to make the occasion because there is something about the fresh smell of an apple pie baking and then the satisfaction of eating it after you’ve taken the time and energy to make it.
For this apple pie, you’ll make the crust as well as the pie filling but you can also buy the pie crust at your local grocery store.
Best apple pie recipe you can use with fresh apples.
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1¼ c. vegetable shortening
- 7-12 T. ice-cold water
Apple Pie Filling
- 6 c. peeled and sliced apples
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- 2 T. unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
- Place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 450°F
- To prepare pie crust, add flour, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9-inch pie.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
- Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and
place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over-browning.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
To make a deep-dish pie, double the filling ingredients and roll out the bottom crust to a 12-13 inch diameter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 596Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 5g
What I like about it is that you can use any type of apples that you’ve got on hand. So if you bought some and they need to be used – make this. The filling part can be put together in a matter of minutes.
Another way to use the apple filing recipe above is to create an apple tart. The blend of flavors in this recipe are amazing.
~AprilShare this article: